A friendly face 1000 miles from home

This week I'm vacationing in a city a long ways from home.

I plan to move here eventually; and as I was going to a local grocery store for a couple odds and ends for the hotel room fridge, I had a thought run through my mind - "I wonder how friendly the people are here?" and so I made a mental note pay attention also, to the fact that there is a lot more to gauging a place where I might want to live than just location, weather and affordability.

I admit I was a tiny bit apprehensive as I walked into this store as all Allie - not knowing if I would be noticed, outed, engaged or otherwise.

So it was really appreciated when I saw that my cashier was wearing a rainbow striped mickey mouse pin of support, and smiled a genuine smile as I said hi and answered their "How are you?" politeness with a mini account of my 1000 mile journey. They were Kind and genuinely friendly and I felt comfortable and accepted and not judged in the least.

I wish I could remember their name, and I will definitely be visiting again so I can hopefully say hello again and perhaps remember next time.
But for the sake of this story I want to mention that they too appeared to be at some point in their own (FTM or other) evolution; and it was truly good fortune that literally one of the first people in this place I should encounter; was not only kind and sweet and engaging, but also a kindred soul who understands the struggles we face.


Comments