Feeling melancholy

I woke this morning feeling a bit melancholy for a couple of reasons.

I don't know why exactly, but for some reason I was mourning the distance between my daughter and I.

This distance, both physical (nearly 400 miles) and emotional - have been on my mind a lot lately and I'm not sure if it's just an empty nest feeling, or if its more than that.

I don't think it's related to my transition, mostly because we haven't actually discussed that yet (although I do want to talk to her about it soon) - and I have given her cause for suspicions over the past years. (Ironically it was she that pointed out, while looking at a photo of me at age 10  "Gee dad, you were metro-sexual even back then"). Her observation a few years back was part of the catalyst that helped me towards verum tuae sui - my current intention of self-truth and affirmation.

Anyhow, we used to be really close and talk at least weekly in long phone calls. And now we rarely do; and when we do it's kind of business-like and brief.

I decided to write her a heartfelt note affirming how proud I am of her, and that I love her unconditionally, and telling her that she is on my mind often even if we don't talk so much these days. I miss her.

I think valentine's day is the perfect opportunity to do this; so I better hurry up and get it done and in the mail.

Comments