Trans actors and characters in current film / media

I am grateful to live in this era where trans actors are finally being given significant and authentic roles.

In my youth the only way one would ever see a trans character (let alone actor) was in a role showing them as the victim of a hate crime (usually murder) or as a sex worker; or alternatively as "comic relief" in some demeaning-to-the-demographic role that allowed transphobic viewers to have a studio-sanctioned guilt free laugh at our expense.

In my opinion those stereotypes only served to keep a large part of our growing segment of society in the closet just a little bit longer than we might have otherwise been - but that is changing.

Thanks to progressive production companies and screenwriters, in the past decade there have been several examples of more authentic characters, and although there are small problems with the portrayal of most; it is a definite step in the right direction.

I was moved to write this after watching the final episode of season 1 from the Netflix series Sense8 last night (I have been in love with Jamie Clayton since seeing her as Nomi in the pilot episode); not only because of that series, but also because of the casting trend that has been evident to me since watching Showtimes series "The L Word" and seeing Katherine Moenning in her portrayal of the gender nonconforming character Shane, alongside Dallas Roberts as he portrayed Angus who is actually transitioning FtM in the storyline.

Granted, the aforementioned characters aren't actual trans actors, but they did do a good job of portraying another facet of the transgender experience (although the gratuitous nature of the show's sexuality is more fantastical than authentic I suppose, but hey on the other hand I could also go for some gratuitous sexuality in my life too - so I also saw it as merely accentuating our humanity)

Finally I can't wrap up this piece without mentioning Michelle Hendley who completely blew me away in "Boy meets Girl" as Ricky.
I cried my eyes out during several segments of that film because I identified with the feelings she so effortlessly represented. I cheered her steadfast best friend Robby and her supportive father, I held my breath as she took risks in her community and acted with vulnerability. I loved every minute of the story line and in the final scene I was freaking totally blown away seeing her; in all her breathtakingly beautiful glory and realizing that we all have the capacity to be wonderful and authentic and beautiful and loved - Even if we cant afford to or have otherwise chosen not to undergo gender confirmation surgery.  Bravo, Ms. Hendley!

Indeed I am tearing up as I complete this post; because of the powerful image of that final scene. I applaud her for her brevity, I applaud the directors for understanding the beauty and significance of it; and I applaud the entire casts and production companies of all these stories that I have mentioned above - and I also include those I haven't seen yet - for treating us with respect and humanity as they represent to the world the experience of our lives.







Comments